Our Terms & Conditions
1. What's this all about?
What you're reading now is basically everything you need to know if you're going to use the fdesign platform. It's all fairly straightforward - so please have a read before you get involved. These terms only apply to your use of the fdesign platform – our other websites, such as firstdirect.com, have their own terms. All products and services provided by members of the HSBC Group have their own terms and conditions (the 'Product Terms'). You must read both the Product Terms and these Terms. To the extent that the Product Terms conflict with these Terms then the Product Terms will prevail.
1.1 The fdesign platform
The fdesign platform is a testing site and feedback forum owned and run by first direct, which is in turn a division of HSBC UK Bank plc. So when we say "first direct", that's who we're talking about. And when we say "we" we mean "first direct" as well. Just so we're clear.
Any time you use the fdesign platform, you're agreeing that you will be subject to these Terms and Conditions. If you don't agree, then you may not use the website. Also, the fdesign platform is intended only for people who are UK residents - if you're from outside the UK, please do not use the website or leave contributions.
1.2 Privacy and cookies
When it comes to cookies, our main policy is transparency. Cookies are small pieces of data which are stored for you on your computer by your web browser. They're used to improve your online experience by almost every website, including the fdesign platform, which is one of the reasons we think it's important that you understand how cookies work, what they're for, and when they're being used. We use two different types of cookie, which we call "essential cookies", and "functionality and performance cookies”. Each one works in a slightly different way, and you can find out more about each one in our
1.3 Moderation of content
The opinions, ratings and feedback posted on the fdesign platform are the opinions, ratings and feedback of the site users not first direct, and first direct is not responsible for them. We offer applications for testing but we don't monitor or moderate feedback before it's posted. But we obviously keep an eye on the site, and we can and will remove content that we think is unsuitable (outlined in section 1.7) or which violates any of these Terms and Conditions whenever we think it's necessary. We can also reinstate any content or material whenever we need to.
Remember, this is the internet, so there are a lot of different opinions out there. We don't vouch for the accuracy of any of the information and recommendations that might appear in the feedback section of the fdesign platform, so please use common sense when viewing it.
1.4 House Rules
For the fdesign platform, we have created House Rules that you must agree to before being allowed to sign up to the platform. These are the House Rules:
The fdesign platform gives visitors the chance to view and test new applications before they're officially released. So you can only use the fdesign platform to post comments, ratings and material that are appropriate.
- be polite, respectful and civil to others, even if your views differ;
- be accurate when stating facts;
- only state opinions which are genuinely held;
- comply with the law of England and Wales and any country from which you are posting your contribution;
- be relevant;
- be original and not copy or plagiarise other people’s work; and
- write in English.
You should not:
- defame any person anywhere in the world;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- publish, post, distribute or disseminate any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful, inflammatory, indecent, unlawful or otherwise objectionable;
- publish content which is spam or contains chain letters, pyramid schemes, surveys, contests or junk mail;
- publish content that could be judged to be equivalent to advertising (including, but not limited to advertising or offering to sell any goods or services) or promotional material, that violates third party rights, or in any way use the fdesign platform to promote your own business or the business of anyone else;
- publish any content or make any endorsements relating to the financial services industry either in general or about specific providers, their products, services or staff;
- post content in any language other than English;
- contribute content with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act;
- disclose any of your personal data or other information you do not want to be widely available;
- disclose your bank details or other financial or confidential information;
- post any content that reveals any personal information about yourself or any other living individual (for example name, e-mail address, telephone number or postal address). Where another person is identifiable in your contribution, you confirm that you have their consent (or that of their parent/guardian if under 18) to the submission of such content;
- infringe any copyright, database right, trade mark or other intellectual property right of any other person;
- breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- be in contempt of court;
- publish anything which is likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- give the impression that a contribution emanates from any person other than you if this is not the case;
- advocate, promote, incite any third party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act;
- post content which contains a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism;
- post content which contains a hypertext link to another web site;
- post or otherwise make available any material that contains, or directs other users to, software viruses, malware, or other code or files that may damage or interfere with computer hardware or software; or
- rate any application in the fdesign platform more than once (unless we’ve changed it, and asked you to rate the new version).
1.5 License to use material
When you post content on the fdesign platform you will be granting first direct what's called a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free (that means we don't have to pay you) worldwide licence to use it. This includes reproducing, modifying, adapting, translating, publishing, distributing and displaying it and doing so in any format. If you're worried about giving us the rights to use your stuff, basically don't submit or post any content or materials.
1.6 Links to third party websites
You might find links to other websites in postings on the fdesign platform. Since these are controlled and maintained by other people, rather than first direct, we're not responsible for what you might find there - and any such links shouldn't be seen as an endorsement of any kind.
Sometimes we may talk about or 'like' apps and websites made by other people. We do that for your information only. This doesn't mean that we endorse the products or services that they provide, and we're not responsible for those apps or websites or for any problems that might arise from using them.
1.7 Unacceptable content
If you come across any content in the fdesign platform which you think is breaching these terms, or someone else's legal rights or is unacceptable in any way you should tell us about it straight away by clicking on the 'Report this comment' button next to the feedback in question. We take copyright, trademark, defamation and other laws very seriously. Try and include as much detail as possible, including a copy of the posting and where you found it. If you can, please explain why you think the posting is objectionable, and which aspect of the Terms and Conditions it violates. Finally, make sure you provide us with your contact details, so we can get in touch if we need more information.
We'll investigate immediately and take appropriate action - which may include removing the posting or banning the offending user. You agree that first direct may access, preserve, and disclose your account information and any content posted by you in order to: (a) comply with any legal process; (b) enforce these Terms and Conditions of use; (c) respond to claims that any content posted on the fdesign platform violates the rights of third parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of first direct, other users of this website and the public Any information will not be shared with any other users and will be kept strictly confidential.
1.8 Modifications to Terms and Conditions
We may want to change these terms in the future and we reserve the right to do so at any time. Any such change in Terms and Conditions will be effective as soon as it's published on this web page. You will be emailed if the Terms and Conditions change at any point in time if you’re a registered user.
1.9 Information not recommendation
Information or opinions contained on the fdesign platform do not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation, or offer to buy, any securities or financial instruments or investment advice or any advice or recommendation in respect of such securities or other financial instruments. Should you seek to rely in any way whatsoever upon any content contained on the fdesign platform, you do so at your own risk. Before you make any decision or take any action that might affect you or your personal finances or business, you should always consult a suitably qualified professional adviser(s) to obtain appropriate financial, legal, accounting, tax and other advice.
1.10 Users of the site
The fdesign platform is currently intended for those who access it from within the United Kingdom. Because of this we cannot guarantee that the fdesign platform or the information thereon complies with law or regulation, or is appropriate for use, in other places.
You are wholly responsible for use of the fdesign platform by any person using your computer and you must ensure that any such person complies with these Terms.
Products or services on the fdesign platform do not constitute an offer or recommendation of any products or services provided by any of the HSBC Group members. The information provided on the fdesign platform is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation. The fdesign platform should not be considered as communicating any invitation or inducement to engage in banking or investment activity or any offer to buy or sell any securities or other instruments outside Authorised Countries which are any jurisdictions where HSBC UK Bank plc is licensed or authorised to perform such activities.
Not all the products and services that you may be able to view via the fdesign platform may be available in all geographical locations served by HSBC Group members. You should access only the local site(s) associated with your country of residence ("Your Local Site"). If you own products that are not discussed on Your Local Site, information about such products may be accessible on another HSBC website. Products and services discussed outside Your Local Site may not be available in you jurisdiction or residence or in the Authorised Countries and may not be appropriate for you. Your use of the fdesign platform is subject to the applicable laws and regulations of any relevant jurisdiction. HSBC Group members may decline to provide you with products and services subject to status.
Products discussed on the fdesign platform may not have been registered or authorised by any central bank, governmental or regulatory authority in the Authorised Countries or in the country of your residence. Accordingly, you may not have the benefit of protection from the securities law, banking laws and other relevant laws and regulations of your country of residence with respect to products or services referred to on or through the fdesign platform.
No representation is given that any securities, products or services discussed in or accessible through the fdesign platform are suitable for you or any particular person. You acknowledge that you use of the fdesign platform and any request for information you have made as a result of visiting the fdesign platform are not the result of an offer made by HSBC UK Bank plc or any of its affiliates and that the provision of any information through the fdesign platform shall not constitute or be considered investment or financial advice.
1.11 Governing law
The interpretation, construction, effect and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions will be governed by English Law, and you and first direct agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts for the determination of disputes.
1.12 Email Contact Agreement
By signing up to the fdesign platform, you are allowing first direct to contact you on an infrequent basis about the fdesign platform (no banking or marketing related material will be sent through the fdesign platform). The frequency of the emails will be dependent on the amount of projects you are invited and sign up to. Agreeing to fdesign will not impact any other email contact preferences you have with first direct and these will stay the same. Due to the importance of email contact to the platform, you won’t be able to sign up to the fdesign platform without agreeing to this Email Contact Agreement. Once you have signed up to the platform if you wish to unsubscribe from emails you will be required to delete your fdesign account and all emails will cease.
We want users to enjoy testing the applications and leaving feedback in the fdesign platform. So if you aren't happy with something let us know. To make a formal complaint, you can either email us at email@example.com or send a signed written letter of complaint to:
40 Wakefield Road
Once we've got as much information as we need, we'll consider the complaint and take appropriate action, letting you know as soon as we've reached a decision.
1.14 Important Information
first direct is a division of HSBC UK Bank plc. HSBC UK Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority and is listed with the reference number 765112. HSBC UK Bank plc is a company incorporated under the laws of England and Wales with company registration number 9928412 and its registered office is at 1 Centenary Square, Birmingham, B1 1HQ. HSBC UK Bank plc's registered VAT Number is GB 365684514.
HSBC UK Bank plc is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Scheme and subscribes to the Lending Code. More detail about this is available on the Lending Standards Board website. For information about accounts and other products you can refer to the Money Advice Service website. Should you wish to contact first direct please refer to the Contact Us menu which can be found on the top of each page of the first direct website.